IRIS™ | Intelligent Refractive Index Sensor – Inline Process Refractometer
The MISCO IRIS™ Intelligent Refractive Index Sensor is a completely self-contained measurement system. It represents a new standard in concentration sensing. The IRIS modular design includes a flow-through adapter with two push-to-connect I/O ports and an integrated mounting bracket.
With just a quarter-turn, the detachable “SMART-sensor” can be removed from the adapter without tools for cleaning or maintenance. Since all the intelligence resides within the sensor itself, it is not dependent on an external control box. Standard sensor outputs include user-selectable 4 to 20 mA or 0 to 10-volt signal. You can connect the output directly to a PLC or data capture system. The IRIS sensor may be programmed with any one scale from our extensive scale library.
See also: IRIS Inline Accessories
SKU: IRIS Category: Inline Process Refractometer and Concentration Sensors Tags: Concentration Sensor, inline refractometer, IRIS, MISCO, process refractometer, Refractive Index Sensor, refractometer, sensor, smart sensor
How does an Inline Refractive Index Sensor differ from an Inline Process Refractometer?
Inline refractometers, for the most part, can best be described as a “dumb-sensor” cabled to an external control box. The proprietary control box generally hosts a display, the user-interface, and connections to external equipment such as PLCs, computers, or other data capture equipment. Mounting the control box close to the sensor takes up room, increases installation time, is an added expense, and is one more thing to maintain or break. There are generally few plumbing options since the Dumb-Sensor is usually mounted in the primary process stream and frequently requires special, often expensive, adapters.
The Dumb-Sensor/Control Box model is a throw-back to earlier days. In the new world of digital controls, seldom does anyone look at the display on the control box. Most users want to connect a sensor into their network and read the measurements on their computer, HMI, or SCADA equipment. There really is no need for the external display in most installations.
Unlike conventional inline or process refractometers, the IRIS Inline Sensor is a true “SMART-sensor” that operates entirely independently of an external controller. We designed the IRIS inline sensor to be connected directly into your control system with an analog 4 to 20 mA or 0 to 10-volt output. If your installation requires a digital display, we have an optional one available.
As the name implies, most inline refractometers are mounted “inline” with a primary process stream. Inline mounting frequently requires special, often expensive, custom adapters, and you must shut down the entire process to remove the sensing head for cleaning or maintenance. The IRIS Inline Sensor is easily connected to a by-pass stream, running alongside the primary process, using standard off-the-shelf hardware.
Instead of the sensor forcing you to adapt your process to the sensor, the MISCO IRIS Sensor is easily integrated into your process. Two push-to-connect I/O ports, on the face of the flow-through adapter, make it easy to connect the IRIS sensor to nearly any type of process stream. These 5/16” (8mm) ports can accommodate a virtually unlimited number of standard, inexpensive, off-the-shelf connectors and adapters.
Here are just a few connector options:
• You can run 5/16” flexible tubing straight into one of the push-to-connect I/O ports and out the other.
• Push the two right-angle elbows (included) into the flow-thru adapter to provide 360° of rotation so that process lines may come in from any angle.
• A 5/16” push-to-connect adapter can expand to accept 3/8” flex tubing and can reduce to ¼”, 3/16”, or 5/32” tubing.
• A 5/16” push-to-connect adapter can convert to 1/8” or ¼” NPT-M, 10-32 UNF, BSPT, or BSPP.
• A ¼” NPT-M fitting can connect with a number of sizes of NPT pipe fittings.
• Add a 5/16” push-to-connect hose barb fitting to connect to a flexible hose.
• Whether you run steel tubing, flexible tubing, hose, or pipe, there is probably a quick push-to-connect adapter for your needs.
How to Install
Installation is fast and easy:
1. Screw mounting bracket to C-Channel, Unistrut, or other convenient location.
2. Run lines to the flow-through adapter.
3. Run sensor cable from PLC or data capture equipment to sensor mounting location.
4. Configure the sensor: When you first receive your IRIS Sensor, configure it to your needs using the MISCO Inline Connect Software (included)*. Just plug the sensor into the USB port on the computer and run the software. The configuration is straightforward!
5. Connect the Sensor and Flow-Through Adapter. Requires a ¼-turn and will lock in place. No tools are needed.
6. Screw the sensor cable to the rear of the IRIS Sensor, and you are ready to go.
*The sensor will come with special configuration software. Requires a computer running an MS Windows operating system and a USB port.
|Refractive Index Equivalent||-|
|.....Range||1.3330 to 1.3900|
|.....Range||0 to 35|
|.....Precision||(+/- 0.3 Brix)|
|Temperature Range||41 to 104 °F (5 to 40 °C)|
|Temp. Control Method||Auto Temp. Correction|
|Pressure Range||0 to 36 psi (0 to 2.5 Bar)|
|Temp. Control Basis||Scale Dependent|
|Analog 4 to 20 mA||Optional|
|Analog 0 to 10 VDC||Optional|
|Digital - ASCII Text||Optional|
|Digital - USB Output||Included|
|# of Scale||One|
|User Programmable||Options & Settings|
|User Calibration Points||Two|
|Error Codes||Text-Based & Lights|
|I/O Connection Type||5/16" (8 mm) Push to Connect|
|Number of Connections||1 Input x 1 Output|
|Integrated Mounting Bracket||YES|
|Integrated Flow-Thru Adapter||YES|
|Water Resistance||IP66 - NEMA 4|
|Dimensions||2" Dia. x 3.5" Long (5 cm x 8.9 cm)|
|Weight||1 lbs. (0.45 kg )|
|Sensor Head||Polymer & Stainless Steel|
|Integrated Mounting Bracket||Stainless Steel|
|Integrated Flow-Thru Adapter||Polymer|
|Standard Fluid Seals||Viton and Buna-N|
|Light Source||Precision LED @ 589.3 nm|
|Country of Origin||USA|